| What is the difference of MT,MTP and MPO?
What is an MT ferrule?
MT stands for mechanical transfer. The MT ferrule is a multi-fiber ferrule in which fiber
alignment is dependent on the eccentricity and pitch of the fiber and alignment pin holes.
The alignment is dictated by the alignment pins during mating.
The critical elements for alignment are:
1. The ability to hold extreme tolerances for precision during the molding process
2. The shape,tolerances and material composition of the alignment pins.
What is an MPO connector?
MPO is the industry acronym for “multi-fiber push on”.The MPO style connectors are
most commonly defined by two different documents:
l IEC-61754-7 is the commonly sited standard for MPO connectors internationally
l EIA/TIA-604-5 also known as FOCIS 5,is the most common standard sited for in the US.
What is a MTP connector?
The MTP connector is a high performance MPO connector with multiple engineered product
enhancements to improve optical and mechanical performance when compared to generic
The MTP connector is in complete compliance with all MPO connector standards including
the EIA/TIA-604-5 FOCIS 5 and the IEC-61754-7. The MTP connector is inter-ma-table with
all generic MPO-STYLE connectors that are compliant to these industry standard. Generic
MPO connectors are limited in performance and are not able to offer the high performance
levels of the US Conec MTP connector.
Is the MTP connector an MPO connector?
Yes, the MTP connector is a high performance MPO connector engineered for better
mechanical and optical performance.
What makes the MTP connector superior to the generic MPO connectors?
Te MTP connector has features and benefits that are not available on generic MPO connectors.
Some of the key distinctions include:
1. The MTP connector housing is removable. This feature allows the customer to：
Re-work and re-polish the MT ferrule
Change the gender after assembly or even in the field
Scan the ferrule interferometrically after assembly
2. The MTP connector offers ferrule float to improve mechanical performance. This allows two
mated ferrule to maintain physical contact while under and applied load.(US Patent 6,085,003)
3. The MTP connector uses tightly held tolerance stainless steel guide pin tips with an elliptical
shape. The elliptical shaped guide pin tips improves guidance and reduces guide hole wear.
(US Patent 6,886,988)
4. The MTP connector has a metal pin clamp with features for centering the push spring.
Eliminates lost pins
Centers spring force
Eliminate fiber damage from spring
5. The MTP spring design maximizes ribbon clearance for twelve fiber and multi-fiber ribbon applications to prevent fiber damage.
6. The MTP connector is offered with four standard variations of strain relief boots to meet
a wide array of applications.
l Round,loose fiber cable constructions
l Oval jacketed cable
l Bare ribbon fiber
l Short boot which reduces the footprint by 45%.Ideal for use in space limited applications.